Since 2000, the NFL has had its fair share of problems with their athletes. A good percentage of the cases are DUI’s or drug related but some of them are special. And by special, I mean firearm offenses. Actually, while researching this, it seems as though if the NFL banned nightclubs or strip clubs, total incidents would be reduced by at least 65%. Was that a “duh” moment? I am willing to bet that none of these players will be landing on anyone’s fantasy football rosters next year.
When putting together this list, I consulted the U-T San Diego NFL Arrests Database. It is a wonderful tool that lets you search by player or team to see what trouble they have gotten into. The list is updated regularly and goes as far back as 2000. Therefore, the Thunder Treats NFL All Firearm Team is a complete list of the players since 2000 that have been in gun-related incidents.*
Suprisingly, we were able to fill all of the positions except the quarterback and the center. Of course, if history is any indicater, I’m sure we’ll see those positions filled sooner rather than later.
- Robaire Smith, Browns: 2010 – Charged with possession of firearm in sterile area of commercial airport.
- Tank Johnson (2), Bears: 2006 – Arrested at his home in suburban Chicago and charged with six counts of possessing an unlicensed gun and (2005) arrested on a felony gun charge after police found a loaded 9mm handgun in vehicle.
- Leonardo Carson, Chargers: 2002 – Arrested and charged with harassment and menacing, two misdemeanor charges, for allegedly pulling a gun at a car repair shop in Mobile, Ala.
- Ronald Fields, Broncos: 2010 – Arrested in Houston on misdemeanor gun charge after allegedly taking gun into nightclub.
- Shaun Rogers, Browns: 2010 – Arrested after officials said a loaded gun was found in his bag at the Cleveland airport.
- Gerard Warren, Browns: 2001 – Arrested in Pittsburgh on a felony charge of carrying an unlicensed firearm.
- Marcus Thomas, Broncos: 2008 – Arrested in Florida after police found cocaine and a gun in his truck.
- Kiante Tripp, Browns: 2012 – Arrested in College Park, Ga., on a felony burglary charge and possession of a firearm.
- Joseph Jefferson, Colts: 2002 – Charged with carrying a firearm without a license
- Ahmad Carroll, Jaguars: 2007 – Arrested in Atlanta and charged with carrying a weapon without a license, possession of drugs and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.
- Jeremiah Pharms, Browns: 2001 – The fifth-round draft pick was arrested on a first-degree robbery charge in the pistol-whipping and shooting of an alleged drug dealer in Seattle.
- Elvis Dumervil, Broncos: 2012 – Arrested in Miami on charges of aggravated assault with a firearm.
- Roderick Green, 49ers: 2009 – Arrested, charged with reckless driving, unlawfully carrying a weapon, marijuana possession and interfering with the duties of a police officer after traffic stop in Texas.
- Rolando McClain, Raiders: 2011 – Arrested on charge of third-degree assault. He allegedly held gun to a man’s head and fired shot by his ear in Decatur, Ala.
- Mike Doss, Colts: 2005 – Arrested on charges of carrying a concealed weapon and discharging a firearm within city limits.
- Damien Robinson, Jets: 2001 – Arrested outside Giants Stadium for having an assault rifle and ammunition in the trunk of his car.
- Chris Cook, Vikings: 2011 – Arrested in Virginia on suspicion of brandishing gun during fight.
- Willie Andrews, Patriots: 2008 – Arrested, charged with assault with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a high-capacity firearm. He allegedly pointed gun at live-in girlfriend’s head.
- Aaron Hernandez, Patriots: 2013 – Arrested and charged with murder and five weapons counts in the shooting death of Odin Lloyd.
- Andre Smith, Bengals: 2013 – Arrested on a charge of carrying a loaded gun at Atlanta’s airport.
- Jeremy Bridges, Panthers: 2007 – Accused of pointing a gun at female employee of strip club in Charlotte.
- D’Anthony Batiste, Panthers: 2007 – Arrested, charged with carrying a concealed weapon after traffic stop.
- Tony Hutson, Cowboys: 2000 – Arrested for failure to appear in court on speeding charge. Police find pistol in his car, leading to weapons charge.
- Mario Henderson, Raiders: 2011 – Arrested in Florida and charged with carrying a concealed firearm.
- Plaxico Burress, Giants: 2008 – Turned himself on charge of criminal possession of a handgun after accidentally shooting himself in thigh at New York nightclub.
- Marvin Harrison, Colts: 2008 – Gun was found to be used in the shooting of convicted drug dealer Dwight Dixon after Dixon was denied access to Harrison’s club. Who pulled the trigger remained a mystery.
- Adam Jones, Titans: 2007 – Charged with felony coercion stemming from February melee and shooting at Las Vegas club.
- Deon Anderson, Cowboys: 2010 – Police confiscated two weapons from his car, which was impounded.
- Marshawn Lynch, Bills: 2009 – Arrested on felony gun charge in Culver City, Calif., after police discovered his loaded firearm in vehicle.
- Laurence Maroney, Broncos: 2011 – Arrested after police found guns and drugs in car with four other men in St. Louis.
- Larry Johnson, Chiefs: 2003 – Charged with aggravated assault, a felony, and misdemeanor domestic battery for allegedly brandishing a gun during an argument with an ex-girlfriend at his home in Leawood, Kan.
- Chris Henry (posthumously), Bengals: 2006 – Arrested in Florida on concealed weapons charges for allegedly possessed a firearm outside a Orlando nightclub.
- Muhsin Muhammad, Panthers: 2002 – Arrested on misdemeanor weapon and drug charges after a traffic stop for speeding.
- Cory Rodgers, Packers: 2006 – Arrested in Forth Worth, Texas, on misdemeanor charges of unlawfully carrying a weapon and discharging a firearm outside a nightclub.
- Jeff Graham, Chargers: 2002 – Arrested in Dayton, Ohio, for carrying a concealed weapon.
Of course this post will make people chuckle a bit, but it should really be an eye opener. Before reading this, how many gun related incidents in the NFL could you name?
Also, since we are missing the quarterback and center, who is your most likely candidate to fill in the position?
*I think. Let me know who I missed!